5/5/13

Run #20: May 5, 2013: Kansas, Overland Park

Run #20, May 5, 2013
2013 Outpacing Melanoma 5K
This 5K is a serious fundraiser for Melanoma prevention and is run in honor of Richard A Klover, who died in 2010 from this awful cancer.


I get checked once a year and have had a few moles removed, but fortunately no melanoma.
My boomer friends from the 60s, who all spent too much time in the sun, should get checked too.

At the start of the 5K, black balloons are released to raise awareness.


Lots of runners today lining up at the start.


And we are off...
That is Wayne in the Team Anctil shirt above. He goes on to finish second in his age division.


The run is held in a place in Overland Park, Kansas called Corporate Woods, so there are some trees. It is drizzly with temps in the 40s.



I hate the hills, and this course had a few.


The last mile.


and the finish... 25:02, 45th overall and 2nd in my age group.


This is Austin, a fine young man, 14, who I spoke with, along with his mom, before the run. He finished 2nd in his age division.

Here comes Wayne...

After the run, the perfect treat -- muffins.

I had 6, maybe 7. This is Amanda with me. Her Leo club at Blue Valley HS provided muffins today for a service project. A super idea.

Here is my 2nd place medal.

And a picture with Austin taken by his proud mom.

and a picture with fellow elderly runner, Wayne.

And I was lucky to find 2 tutu girls, mom -- Amanda, and daughter.

It was a fun 5K and for a good cause. Put on that suntan lotion this summer.
Next Saturday, 40,000 runners, at the Komen 5K in Washington D.C.
20 States Completed (blue).
Scheduled for May (red).

No comments:

Post a Comment