2/9/13

5K #8, February 9, 2013: Arkansas, Hope

State # 8


5K #8: Fruit Loop 2nd Annual 5K & Kid's Run (There is a lot of fruit and you run a loop.)
Up at 4:00 a.m. to drive to the boyhood home of Bill Clinton in Hope Arkansas for the...



My favorite part of the above picture is his shoes.


And we are off...



I ran the first mile in 7:55, was comfortable, and felt like I could maintain that pace for a 5K time of under 25 minutes.
But a quarter of a mile later -- trouble with my lower right calf muscle.
It became so painful that I walked the next quarter of a mile. As more and more people passed me, very depressing, I became more reluctant to walk all the way to the finish line, about 1.5 miles. So I hobbled as fast as I could to finish the 5K in about 30 minutes.



This was good enough for 3rd place in the senior men's division (56 and older), but there may have been just 3 seniors running.

And now I am a professional as my prize was $10 cash money.


This is one of the organizers presenting at the awards ceremony.


After the 5K Jeannie and I went to eat at a terrific local hamburger restaurant, Tailgaters.



If we are ever again in Hope, we will definitely go back. You should too.
The next scheduled run is in Chapel Hill, NC in 14 days. I hope my leg is okay by then.
Runs Completed (blue). Scheduled for February and March (red).
February 23: North Carolina, Chapel Hill. 20th Annual Shamrock "N" Run 5K

February 24: Virginia, Williamsburg. 34th Annual Sentara Colonial Half Marathon & 5K
March 3: Oklahoma, Ardmore. A2A Arbuckles to Ardmore Race for Mercy Marathom, Half Marathon, and 5K
March 16: Nevada, Las Vegas. 12th Annual Run Away with Cirque du Soleil 5K Run and 1-Mile Fun Walk at the Springs Preserve

No comments:

Post a Comment